" collection" means the act of gathering, acquiring, recording or obtaining personal information from any source, including third parties, by any means.
" consent" means voluntary agreement with the collection, use and disclosure of personal information for defined purposes. Consent can be either express or implied and can be provided directly by the individual or by an authorized representative. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing. Implied consent is consent that can reasonably be inferred from a user's action or inaction.
" user" means an individual who uses the Service provided by PWS, including, but not limited to, a subscriber to the Service and anyone else who accesses or visits the Sites.
" disclosure" means making personal information available to a third party.
" personal information" means information about an identifiable individual, but not aggregated information that cannot be associated with a specific individual.
" registered user" means a user who has created and registered an account with PWS, as well as a Subscribing Organization that has created and registered an account or accounts with PWS.
" Subscribing Organization" means a company, entity or organization that has subscribed to the Service.
" third party" means an individual other than the user, or the user's agent, or an organization outside PWS or a Subscribing Organization.
" use" means the treatment, handling and management of personal information by and within PWS.
PWS may collect any or all of the following personal information if the information is reasonably required to provide the services accessed or requested by you:
- information that you provide when you become a registered user or otherwise complete forms on the Service, such as your name, email, postal address, telephone number, age, country of residence and occupation;
- your log-in and password details in connection with your PWS account, including your username;
- information that you provide to PWS when you subscribe to the Service, such as your billing address, payment method and credit card information;
- your correspondence with PWS employees, including any questions, concerns or comments you may have about the Service or problems that you report;
- images, including satellite images;
- your location information via your mobile device;
- comments, questions, data, and any other content that you may post to the Service; and
- details of your requests made through the Service.
3. Purpose of Collection and Use of Personal Information
PWS collects your personal information and will use your personal information as is reasonably required for the following purposes:
- if you are a registered user, to establish and maintain your PWS account;
- to provide the Application(s), the weather related services, or other services or information that you request;
- to verify your identity if you submit comments, questions, or any other content to the Service;
- to collect amounts owing from you to PWS;
- to respond to questions, comments, requests or complaints that you submit to PWS;
- to track PWS’s communications with you;
- to analyze use of the Service and to improve the Service;
- to send emails, newsletters, regular mail or other communications you have consented to receive from PWS;
- to provide Service-related announcements or notifications to you;
- to fulfill a purpose that we disclose to you when we request your personal information; and/or
- to meet legal and regulatory requirements.
PWS staff are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained. Personal information will only be collected and used by authorized staff in a manner consistent with the activities of PWS.
PWS may disclose your personal information to:
- its employees, agents, partners and service providers as is reasonably necessary to enable these parties to perform a business, professional or technical support function for PWS;
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of PWS, is seeking the information as your agent; and
- a third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or the disclosure is required by law.
PWS does not have control over, and is not responsible for, personal information that users voluntarily disclose about themselves to the public via the Service, nor for personal information that a user may disclose about another user via the Service. Please exercise caution before disclosing personal information about yourself to other users through the Service.
5. Safeguarding Your Personal Information
PWS is committed to safeguarding your personal information. PWS uses appropriate security measures to protect personal information against risks such as loss or theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, modification or destruction regardless of the format in which it is held. The methods of protection and safeguards used by PWS include, but are not limited to, locked filing cabinets, need-to-know access and technological measures, including the use of passwords, encryption and firewalls. While PWS cannot guarantee that risks such as loss, theft, unauthorized access or disclosure of personal information will not occur, PWS will make every effort to prevent such unfortunate occurrences.
PWS takes care in disposing of or destroying personal information to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to the information. PWS also ensures that its employees with access to personal information are made aware of the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of personal information. Finally, PWS protects personal information disclosed to third parties by contractual agreements stipulating the confidentiality of the information and the purposes for which it is to be used.
If you are a registered user and your PWS account becomes inactive, PWS may choose not to retain your user content, personal information associated with your PWS account, or any other records associated with your PWS account, for a period longer than three years after your PWS account becomes inactive, in which case such information will be destroyed. If your PWS account becomes inactive, you are solely responsible for exporting any such information from your PWS account that you may wish to retain.
PWS is committed to keeping your personal information as complete, up-to-date and accurate as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. PWS will promptly correct or complete any personal information found to be inaccurate or incomplete. Where appropriate, PWS will transmit amended information to third parties having access to the personal information in question. Upon request, PWS will provide you with a reasonable opportunity to review the personal information in your file to review its accuracy. Such personal information will be provided within a reasonable time of the request and at a minimal or no cost to you.
Also upon request, PWS will provide an account of the use and disclosure of your personal information and, where reasonably possible, will state the source of the information. In providing an account of disclosure, PWS will provide a list of organizations to which it may have disclosed personal information about you when it is not possible to provide an actual list.
8. Withdrawing Consent
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by PWS at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. In certain circumstances, your withdrawal of consent will result in the inability of PWS to continue providing aspects of the Service to you. Please contact PWS for more information regarding the implications of withdrawing consent.
9. Non-Personal Information
Non-personal information is information that does not identify you and which we are unable to connect to other information in order to identify you. PWS may collect any or all of the following non-personal information:
- aggregated weather information;
- information required for our models, such as the specifications of weather stations and details regarding land location and size.
We make no attempt to link this non-personal information with the identity of individuals using the Service. Your non-personal information may be permanently archived for future use.
PWS Privacy Officer
Mailing Address: 706 – 70 Arthur Street
Telephone No.: 1.800.653.0582
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from PWS regarding our new products or services, promotions or other similar communications, you may unsubscribe at email@example.com. Please note that, after you unsubscribe, PWS may still send electronic communications to you in certain limited circumstances, such as to provide you with Service notifications and billing information, or to provide information that PWS is legally obligated to provide you.